Jul 28, 2008

Review- The Best American Short Stories 2001


It took me a while to finish, but I read through the whole thing. Twenty stories that Barbara Kingslover thought were the best of 2001, and I didn't disagree with her. The highlight for me was Roy Parvin's BETTY HUTTON. The opening line is "He was a big man who looked like trouble."

Parvin grabbed my attention with that. The story is basically about a man known as Gibbs who has spent much of his life in prison, but when he gets out wants to change his life. To do this he tries to actually make two wrongs turn into a right. He steals money and a car from his girlfriend in order to make a new life for himself in Montana. I don't want to spoil the story for those of you who may want to read this.

Some other short stories that were awesome are: "Servants of the Map" by Andrea Barrett, "Labors of the Heart" by Claire Davis, "After Cowboy Chicken Came to Town" by Ha Jin, "Rug Weaver" by Barbara Klein Moss, and "My Mother's Garden" by Katherine Shonk.

I only didn't care for two stories in this collection.

No comments: