Oct 25, 2008

Best American Nonrequired Reading 2006


This is the first Nonrequired Reading edition I've read, but I like it. I didn't read it cover to cover because the readings are so varied. For instance, there are graphic short stories, regular short stories, the Iraqi Constitution, comics, commencement speeches, scripts, and just about any other short form of writing a reader could imagine.

I will certainly pick up more of these editions.

My favorite section of the book was entitled, "Best American Answers to the Question 'What Do You Believe is True Even Though You Cannot Prove it?' and this was posed to some of the country's leading intellectuals. Carlo Rovelli, a physicist, made a very convincing arugment that time does not exist. David Buss, a psychologist from the University of Texas, believes that true love exist even though he can't prove it.

I could write about this book all day, but the last thing I'll mention is "Shipwreck" by Cat Bohannon. This piece creeped the hell out of me. Basically, it's deals with thi

No comments: