Sep 12, 2008

"Breasts" by Stuart Dybek


I'm in the middle of reading THE BEST AMERICAN SHORT STORIES 2004 edited by Lorrie Moore. It's a huge collection. Most of the short stories are over 40 pages in length. I have been please with the ones I've read so far. "What You Pawn I Will Redeem" was great. It's about a Native American who finds his grandmother's powpow regalia hanging in a pawn shop. The owner gives him twenty-four hours to come up with the money, or it could be sold.

Basically, for the next twenty-four hours, the man earns money and finds a way to blow it, either on drinks or in some other frivolous manner.

But the story that really bugged me was "Breasts." I honestly didn't get it. It was violent, which I usually love, but it ended so poorly, I was left hanging. I didn't know what it was all about. If anybody has read it and could shed some light, I'd love it.

1 comment:

Prisoner of Hope said...

i just read it. i understand it. email me.