Jun 19, 2008

"Old Friends" by Thomas McGuane

There's no question I have ADD when it comes to many things, but especially reading. I skip around from story to story. Today, I read a short story called "Old Friends." The story first appeared in THE NEW YORKER, but I read it in The Best American Short Stories 2005. For someone like me, that ADD I talked about before, short stories are great. I read them for a few minutes or an hour and BOOM done. Move on to the next thing. If it's a disappointment, well at least you haven't invested a bunch of time. I don't feel my time was wasted on "Old Friends," but I was a little disappointed. It caused me to think about it for a bit, which is one trademark of a good story, but I wasn't blown away by it. If anyone is looking for a great short story, stay in the same book and read the first one by Tom Bissell called, "The Smile on Happy Chang's Face." Great Stuff.

No comments: