Jun 30, 2008

Review-KILLING FLOOR




Just finished KILLING FLOOR by Lee Child. It started off with a bang. About a hundred pages into it, I was thinking this might be the best book I've ever read. It was filled with action on just about every page, and since it was told in first-person, I felt I was right inside Jack Reacher's head. Child sets Reacher up to be this ex-milliary guy with tons of tactical knowledge, and that part's really cool, but by the end, I was just wanted the book to be over. And by the last twenty pages, I was almost laughing out loud at the lameness.

Reacher has taken on four to five armed guys several times in the book and has just wasted them with relative ease. The final show down is Reacher with two guys, one the chief of detectives with over twenty years of experience against two old men with shotguns. Now, these two guys have hostages, but still, they're in their seventies. And Jack Reacher is nervous? Come on, now.

If it were me who wrote this book, I would have had one of the old men and his son switch places. The son was set up to be this ruthless killer with a crazy streak. It would have been better to have a bigger climax towards the end. I was a little disappointed with this ending, but overall I was really impressed with Lee Child's first novel. I will definitely be reading the next one.

No comments: